Sunday, April 3, 2011

Who am I? Who are you?

Since I started this blog, I have daily thoughts of what my next blog should be about.  Many ideas run wildly in my mind but nothing exciting sticks out at me.  A few comments I heard this past week hit me like a ton of bricks and my next entry is created.  I start my notes and crack myself up on a few but the bottom line is this - how well do you really know yourself?  And how well do your family and friends know you? 

We all have a special bond we share with our family members, our friends, but when you hear a comment that doesn't fit you at all, it makes you wonder what others really know about you.  Hence, my list.  So, here are a few things that many may not know about me.  Maybe some things you do.  It doesn't matter because when I was creating the "me" list, I found out a little more about myself than I knew.  I challenge you to do the same.  Come up with a list that best describes you and see if you come to the realization that there are a few hidden things you stumble upon.

Here ya go - THE REAL KATHLEEN

I have to set the timer on the microwave and alarm clock to odd times.  Like you are warming something up and it says 30 seconds.  I have to put in 33 or 29.  Can't do 30.  If I have to set my alarm for 8:00 a.m., I will actually set it for 8:01 or 7:57.  Why do I do this?  I don't know but I have for as long as I can remember.
I think that mayo needs to be on sandwiches, burgers and to dip fries in.  Mustard is only for hot dogs and corn dogs.
I absolutely love driving around and wondering aimlessly down roads I have never been on.  It's amazing to find places so close to home you never knew existed.  But I totally freak out when I am lost trying to find a specific place. 
I would trade living in the city for the slow country life any day.  I appreciate the many offerings that a city has but cannot stand the hustle and bustle of massive amounts of people.  I can't go to a store during busy times because of so many idiots wondering aimlessly and not paying attention to where they push that car.  RUDE!
I love listening to classical music.  It is my favorite.  Don't get me wrong, I do listening to all types of music but I would rather to listen to a piece of history that is calming and soothing to the soul.
My family is my everything.  I will do anything for them and go to the ends of the earth for them.  No material item is important compared to my family.  I will never let anything come between the ones I truly love.
I love junk mail.  What is more fun than sorting through mail that isn't important?  Since I was a child, I would sit with the big JCPenney catalogue and circle things I liked.  I still do it. Maybe not the Penney's catalogue but I love to sit and circle.
I love to read.  Not just anything.  I enjoy a good book that has a happy ending.  A book has to touch me by the 3rd chapter or I will put it down.  And I have NEVER read the back of the book to see what happens.  I love a good story and don't want to spoil it.
I live for watching college football.  I absolutely love it.  I am not a morning person but I will not miss a morning of Game Day.  I watch as many games on Saturday as I can.  Honestly, the best gift I could receive is the college sports package so I don't miss a single game.  And I watch every bowl game there.  I manage to pick at least 75% each season correctly too!
I love cleaning bathrooms.  I have a hard time cleaning the rest of the house but a clean bathroom is essential.  My kitchen too.  My work space must be organized when I am trying to be productive. 
I can only write with certain pencils or pens.  They must be a medium point or .07 and nothing else.  I can only write with a red pen when writing numbers.  I prefer blue ink for anything else.
I am not a girlie girl at all.  I don't do hair or makeup.  I pull my hair back in a pony tail and call it a day.  I had my makeup tattooed on so I don't have to mess with it.  But, having a daughter is a different story.  I will not let her leave the house without being dressed in a complete matching outfit, shoes and a bow.  But seldom do I ever put her in a dress. 
I love zoos and aquariums.  On my bucket list is to visit as many as I can.  I love taking pictures of animals.  There is a kind of peace that zoos and aquariums give me that I can't describe.  I hope to someday be able to go on an African safari to see animals in their natural habitat. 
I cannot watch a scary movie or show.  I will have nightmares for days.  I can't watch vampires, ghosts or mid evil stuff - it just creeps me out.
I love history and religion.  I think that travelling to places that have both is the best thing to experience.  When I was much younger, I went to Italy and thought that it was magical because of the knowledge and history each place held.  I want to see many more places throughout the world like that and feel the story they provide. 
I have few close friends.  Those that are mean the world to me.  Getting to that place takes a lot of trust and comfort.  There aren't many "in" my circle of trust.
I have a huge collection of crosses from all over the world.  They are one of my few prizes possessions.  Small, large, it doesn't matter - what amazes me is how various countries have crosses relating to their culture and how the cross is interpreted.  
I never like chocolate until I was pregnant with Emery.  Now, I can't get enough of it.  I have many, many years to make up for my lack of consumption!  Oh and cheesecake.  'Nough said.  I never realized what I was missing out on.
There are certain words that make me giggle like a school girl.  I won't tell you what they are but they certainly aren't common, everyday words.
I love shrimp, lobster, scallops, crab but do not like fish whatsoever.  But I love to go fishing.  
I love hair dryers.  I have one that you sit under like at a salon.  When I sit under it, it's like my time out, safe place.  It is comfy, warm and I can't hear anything but my thoughts and can concentrate.  
I have never, nor will I ever like soft drinks or carbonated drinks.  I hate the fuzzies and can't handle the blast of sugar.  I only drink water, unsweetened tea and juices.  
Toes scare me.  I have a hard time going to the store and not staring at peoples toes.  There are so many people that are unafraid to show nasty, ugly, scary toes to the world.  I find it hard not to ask them why they feel the need to subject innocent people to such a horrid image.   

I am sure there are many more things but just making this list made me realize that I have a few oddities but am still a human just the same as you.  What will you find out about yourself?

I close with this:  Matthew 5:16

And the timer issue is the oddest of them all. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this!!! I do the whole crazy clock thing too...my alarm is set for 5:36!!! :)

    ReplyDelete