Friday, March 25, 2011

DMV Reality Show

So, I caved in and went to the DMV today.  It seems like Henry and I have been married for a 1,000 years already and I really need to change my name on my drivers license.  I have told myself that I need to get this done for a long time but as the deadline loomed in the darkness, I keep giving myself a pep talk to hold my head high and go.

Today was the day.  The multiple pep talks must have work.  As I arrive at the DMV, I catch myself counting cars in the parking lot and mentally calculating how long I will have to wait.  Ugg....looks like I need to take a magazine in.  I walk in, look at which line is shorter - the one for drivers license or the line for "quick" tag renewal.  Drivers license wins.  I am waiting in line but keeping listening to the many conversations around me.  Finally, I am the next in line to be helped.  YEAH!  The lady in front of me and her daughter are there for the daughter to get her permit.  I know that I have to listen and pay attention because my dear sweet son will soon be listening to all the rules and regulations for getting a permit too.  I must admit that I am happy to hear that not only does the permit holder have to sign stating they will not use a cell phone while operating vehicle, the parents do too.  And the parents are handed a form that at any time they see that the child is not complying with rules or driving carelessly, they can have the child's permit/license revoked until they are 18.  My how the times have changed. 

As I change lines to get my tag renewed, I finally look at my new license and am not upset by the picture.  Don't get me wrong, it's not one to hang over the fireplace but I'm pleasantly pleased with the overall look I have delivered .  I can't help but be more discouraged by my signature, my sloppy handwriting.  I need to work on that.

Finally, I am next in line for the tag renewal.  I have been in line behind an elderly man, I would say in his 70's or so.  Retired farmer.  But he has been talking to his wife who had her license renewed with me and realize the other lady with him is his mother?  How is possible?   He can't be that old but then again, maybe the mother just looks good?  Anyway, he produces the necessary paperwork to renew tags but says he wants a veterans tag.  He shows his honorable discharge and the lady gets him a tag.  The man is terribly upset that is says Persian Gulf Veteran because he did not fight in that war.  He just wants a generic veteran tag.  The lady rattles off which veterans tag they have and all are specific to certain war periods.  From what I am understanding, the man wasn't involved in a war but he is still a veteran.  Come to find out, the State of Arkansas does not make generic veterans license plates, only specific war time ones.  Interesting. 

As I am leaving, I hold the paper with the sticker attached to that I don't forget to put it on the license plate.  I know this seems foolish but I can walk out the door and not remember to put it on.  I'm too easily distracted.  And it's a good thing that I held onto the paper/sticker because I was distracted.  I am pushing the stroller and Emery towards the car and I see a young couple loading up in their vehicle.  They have a young son, maybe 5 months or so? Both are smiling and laughing but cannot tell about what.  I see the woman sit in the back with the child.  This always amuses me but don't ask why. 

I start to unload the stroller, put Emery in her car seat and watch the couple back out of their parking spot.  Now, I did notice they were in the front row, possibly in a handicap place?  Who am I to judge if they did or didn't.  But as soon as they back out, another sedan pulls right in front of them and blocks them so they cannot leave.  What's this about? 2 men get out of the car and one of the men tells the young man who is driving to put the car in park and get out.  Exciting! Is this because they were in the front row, possibly handicap parking? I see that the men are in plain clothing but have handcuffs and guns.  The car is a plain as well, an older Ford Taurus.  The young man gets out of the car and the 2 men put him in cuffs and load them into their car.  Words are exchanged but are soft enough that I can't hear.  That really sucks cause I am dying to know what's going on.  The woman who was in the back seat gets out of the car and is yelling but I am not sure who she is yelling at.  Her husband/boyfriend, the 2 probable police officers/bounty hunters?  All I can hear her say is that she's doesn't know what to do with her son.  What does that mean?  I don't get it.  Man or no man around, wouldn't you still care for your child?  How would the man being arrested stop this?  I'm baffled at this point but can't help to keep staring and listening.  I glance around and other people around just keep going, attending to their business which is probably what I should do but how can I?  My mind is racing - what did this man do to be arrested at the DMV?  Did the DMV notify police that he was there?  Was he followed and they were waiting for him?  Did he have an outstanding warrant and what was it for?  Are those really police men?  Do they work for a bondsman/bounty hunter?  Where are they taking him?  Is the lady and baby going to bail him out or leave him?  As they begin to leave the parking lot, I watch which way the car with the men turn.  It's towards the county jail which I realize is just a few blocks away.  Hummm......bad man goes down. 

I start my car and realize that all of this happened in less than 3 minutes.  I laugh at myself simply because I cannot help but watch this entire situation go down and in that time, I cannot possibly count how many scenarios I came up with in my head.  I watch way too much TV, ya know the shows, the reality cops.  Like The First 48, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Manhunters, things like that.  What is my fascination with this? 

As I am driving home, I realize that these shows are actual people, average joe blows like you and me who are walking around with us.  They aren't celebrities showing off.  They aren't trying to win the prize.  And that's what I like.  Average people just doing what they have to do.  Like me.

And I forgot to put the sticker on the car.   

1 comment: