Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hello Again.........

Well, hello again.  It would seem that my blog has been neglected and I apologize.  It is unintentional, trust me.  We have just been so freakin' busy lately and have put on a lot of miles!
First, we went to Indianapolis, IN to participate in the Walk for the Cure with my Auntie Linda (a/k/a Stinks) who is a survivor.  What an honor to be around so many awesome people!  We had a great time.  The costumes are outrageous.  Grown men in pink formals, viking warrior hats, you name it and someone wore it with pride.  The team names are insanely funny.  Saving 2nd base.  Squeeze a boob, save a life.  Jogging for Jugs.  You can't help but laugh.  But then again, while walking, I had a moment that I just have to share.
We got up at an ungodly hour to get to the walk.  It was so cold and windy out.  I had several layers on and still had a chill that night!  We were about 1/2 way through the walk and I was behind a man who had a sign pinned to his back.  It was a picture of a younger woman.  I couldn't see what it said so I moved in for a closer look.  It said he was walking in honor of his wife, Kathy 1971-2010.  Wow.  That is too young.  I start to tear up and realize that I see more walkers with signs that are almost the same.  I look closer at them too and realize that the man is walking with his 4 children and their signs say in honor of our mom, Kathy 1971-2010.  Now, these children couldn't be more than 4, 6, 8, and maybe 10.  All holding hands with each other and with their father.  I do my best to no loose it.  How horrible is this!  I don't even know this man or his children but they are out there, walking in the cold temperatures to honor their wife/mother.  I feel so emotional watching them walk in silence, heads down.  It is obvious they are still mourning which is completely understandable.  I keep walking but have to say that just what I have seen moves me beyond anything I could ever describe.  I know in the bottom of my heart that this man will raise 4 strong children, they will hold family near and dear to their hearts, but they will pride for their mother.  Maybe one of them will find a cure of a disease that took their mother at such a young age for her and from them.  This woman has made a huge impact on not only her family but strangers, including me.  I immediately said a prayer for them all.  I pat the man on his shoulder and keep walking.  No words can be said and none need to be spoken for it is understood.
Maybe you know someone who has had cancer, is a survivor or who is fighting the battle now.  While this is never easy for anyone, just realize that you are not alone and that complete strangers are fighting for you and with you.

1 comment: